New Year’s Eve from Pendleton, OR

Mark has had to leave his motorcycle in a Harley shop in Tigard to be serviced. He’s going to have to fly back to get it sometime during the next week or so. Today, he rented a tow dolly to carry the car that I have been using in Oregon for the last several years. We didn’t actually get out of the Tigard area until about 2:00. We were only planning a 4-hour drive, so no biggie.

This is becoming an all-too-common scene in the Portland area these days.
First view of the Columbia River Gorge heading east
My best shot yet of the Vista House at Crown Point at the top of this cliff. Even at that, it would have been a better shot with a real camera.
It’s hard to see the tall rock behind these trees on the left, but that’s Rooster Rock, famous for having a nude beach in the state park it’s in. I doubt there were any nudists there today!
Multnomah Falls from the highway. We didn’t have time to stop and see it this time.
We started seeing more snow at higher elevations…
…and then at lower elevations. This was a frozen pond on the opposite side of the highway from the Columbia River.
Near The Dalles Dam, we saw some sunshine…
…but at the dam, the hilltops were whited out with snow clouds.

We had been on the road for several hours when my sister texted me to tell me that I had left my purse at my mother’s house. Yikes! I’m going to need my ID in order to start my job in Tucson. My mother immediately packaged up my purse and a spare set of car keys I’d also left there, and my family took it to the post office. I was going to have them overnight it to me in Tucson, but they found out that was going to cost an arm and a leg, so I settled for priority mail. Hopefully, it will arrive in Tucson soon after we do. I am so grateful that they found my purse and keys as soon as they did and were willing to take them to the post office as quickly as they could!

We arrived at the KOA in Pendleton after dark. Getting off the highway, the roads were quite snowy and there are a couple of inches of snow under our RV where we are parked. When we were 47 miles from here, we saw a highway sign that said that the highway was closed in 57 miles. Mark talked with one of the KOA employees who said that the highway east of here had been closed last week. We are hoping that we will be able to continue our journey heading east and then south tomorrow. When you get this post, please pray that the roads will be open.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *