On the job

If I told you what I do at Amazon, I’d have to shoot you!  Well, maybe not shoot you, but I have signed a non-disclosure statement with Amazon.  Here is what I can tell you:

I have been quite ill, but I didn’t want to miss orientation yesterday.  I barely made it through work and then Mark took me to the Urgent Care Center in Fernley.  I got some antibiotics and afterwards I had a McDonald’s parfait while he had a full dinner.  As soon as we got home I went to bed and slept until the alarm went off at 4:00 am.

I had thought we’d have such a beautiful drive to and from work, but it’s dark when we leave for work at 5:00 am, and it’s late dusk when we leave work sometime between 4:30 and 5:00 pm.  (We were originally scheduled to work from 7:00-5:30, but they told us at orientation that it’s been changed to 6:00-4:30.)

I can tell you that I’m not doing as well as Mark and the others in my training group, but hopefully when I feel better I can catch up.  The work is kind of like working as a Page in a library.  We did more moving around today which was somewhat of a blessing.  Our feet are sore, but I actually feel better being busy.  There are four of us in this training group who are Workampers.  The other two are Bob and Paige.  They usually do service work for the Methodist church, but they didn’t have anything up this fall, so they decided to try working at Amazon.  It’s a first for them too.

There’s also another couple guys that are training with our group.  They are with a temp agency in town and if they do well, they may get on permanently with Amazon.  There’s a guy named Chris who seems set on proving himself by trying to teach us from his past experience, even though our teacher is right there.  Mark and I caught on to his type early on.  Then I heard the teacher make an off-hand comment and I knew she was as tired of his constant talking as we were.  Fortunately, when we started working hands-on, he shut up and we all separated.  Mark and I were able to work near each other all day, which is a big comfort, especially since I’ve been off peak.

Mark realized after today that the shoes he bought for this job were too small, so he had to buy another pair tonight.  The others didn’t feel so small till he was on his feet all day.  We’re getting things like this figured out in a hurry.  We’ve been paring down what we take with us to work.  For once I’m leaving my purse and day planner at home!  We’ve also realized we need to leave more food for the cats when we leave in the morning.  They sure have been happy to see us come home the last couple nights!  🙂



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *